A Texas Restaurant Tucked Inside An 1800s Cotton Gin, The Gristmill Is Wonderfully Unique
There are so many restaurants in Texas that deciding where to eat can be an extremely daunting task. When in doubt, the Hill Country is always a great place to start. The Gristmill River Restaurant in Gruene is situated right on the pristine Guadalupe River, and you’ll be hard-pressed to find a restaurant quite like it anywhere else. The historic atmosphere and scrumptious food can’t be beat. This unique historic restaurant in Texas sits inside an 1800s cotton gin, and you’ve got to check it out.
We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life as we all practice social and physical distancing. While we’re continuing to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, we don’t expect or encourage you to go check them out immediately. We believe that supporting local attractions is important now more than ever and we hope our articles inspire your future adventures! And on that note, please nominate your favorite local business that could use some love right now: https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/nominate/
- Walking into the Gristmill is like entering a beautiful Italian villa complete with cobblestone walkways and lush, towering trees.
- It's in the heart of Gruene's famous historic district, situated right next to Gruene Hall - the oldest dance hall in Texas
- The restaurant is located in an old barn that's both rustic and elegant at the same time, chipped paint and rusted metal giving way to dimly lit sconces and extraordinary fireplaces.
- If you choose to sit by the window, you'll get a stunning view of the Guadalupe River below... or you can just sit outside on the deck to be even closer to the water!
- And if you stay late enough to see the sunset, it'll be one you won't soon forget.
- The lowest level of outdoor seating is in the midst of a grove of trees, making it reminiscent of a Tuscan garden. It's one of the most lovely outdoor patios in Texas.
- The inside is decorated like a cabin or lodge with animal heads mounted on the mantels.
- As for the food, whether you go with a Texas favorite like chicken-fried steak or a more sophisticated salmon and charred asparagus dish, every mouthful will be more blissful than the last.
The Gristmill isn't just gorgeous-- it's full of history. To learn more about it, visit their website here.
Have you ever been to this unique historic restaurant in Texas? What did you think of it? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
For more breathtaking waterfront views, visit this little-known remote eatery in Texas.
- The Sapphire River In Texas That’s Devastatingly Gorgeous
- You Haven’t Lived Until You Try These 11 Mouthwatering Restaurants In Texas
- These Texas Houses Are Some Of The Weirdest You’ve Ever Seen – And You Can Tour Them For Yourself
- Texas’ Christmas Cookie Trail Is The New Holiday Tradition Your Family Needs
- This Magical Moonlight Float Trip In Texas Will Take Your Summer To A Whole New Level
Address: 1287 Gruene Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130 USA
- Katie Lawrence | April 02, 2020